• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

How to treat surface corrosion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a ‘71 Arrow. The plane was last painted in 1999. Overall, the paint is in good condition except for the belly of the fuselage. Aft of the wing, where the side panels wrap under the fuse, there is a thin line of surface corrosion where the panels meet. I’m told that when the plane was painted, they didn’t flush the paint stripper well enough, and that is what has caused it.

It seems that paint shops are either too busy, or want ridiculous money to treat and repaint. I have a fair amount of experience painting, but need information on the best way to strip and treat the surface corrosion. Which chemicals are best? After stripping the paint, how to treat the aluminum? There are no holes, only minor surface corrosion, but I’d like to take care of it before it gets worse. Any other hints/tips/considerations? Thanks for any advice.

Latest posts

Back