• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Rough Engine after sitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William

Reaction score
Airplane has been sitting with no fuel for one year. Fresh Avgas added. Engine time 650 hours

Engine runs rough. Ran this way for about 3-5 minutes. I was told the mechanic started with left mag only; but I forgot to ask if shutdown was by mixture cut-off or mag (I assume mixture). I do know the engine was below 1000 rpm when shut down because it really didn’t get up to speed. I also watched a lot of mixture and throttle back and forth prior to start.

Mechanic said it’s a failed fuel pump and that fuel was spewing from it; and that there may be an issue with the crossfeed. He mentioned when he pushed the locked primer the engine sputtered. He also confirmed he checked the fuel lines for water when I asked.

I bought the fuel pump. When I dropped by today I took a quiet re-look for myself. I saw…

A new fuel stain on bottom of carb, top of carb heat box, and on ground directly below. There were no fuel stains aft of the carb or carb or carb heat box. I assumed from that the leak occurred after shutdown. There were no fuel stains anywhere on the fuel pump, anywhere in the fuel pump area, or on the ground directly below the fuel pump. When I went under the belly to attach an empty jar (I was by myself) and realized there was no drain hose. I also noted the fuel selector levers were extremely hard to operate. They were positioned off.

I’m no mechanical genius but here are my thoughts for the order of attack.
  • Replace the o-rings in the primers.
  • Lubricate the fuel selector cables.
  • Replace the damaged lead off the mag.
  • Time the mags.
  • Install a drain hose and test the fuel
Then fire it up and see what happens before I replace the fuel pump and overhaul the carb.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

Latest posts

Back