• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel Pressure Gauge reads zero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLVoumard

Reaction score
I back on the hunt for WHY at times my fuel pressure drops from normal to zero.

PA28 235
Lycoming O-540 B4B5 with 200 hours since MAJOR OH
replaced the engine pump thinking that might have had a bad one from OH - did nothing

This happens during CLIMB OUT usually above 6,000 feet does not matter what tank or qty in the tank. The gauge drops to below zero from mid range . I have a fuel flow that I can watch ( Ei FP5L ) it reads normal 18gph +/- ( climb at Full Power / 2500 RPM reading will vary with altitude) If the gauge were right , I would eventually starve the carb and run out of fuel , I don't and the FF remains steady. Flip on the electric pump and the reading climbs to mid range......turn for the electric pump falls to below zero

After climb , go to cruse and the fuel pressure return to normal. Engine pump only.

so

Its ONLY during a climb
Its at or above 6,000 ft - Home base is 160 MSL , I dont see this down low
I dont believe the gauge is actually reading fuel pressure that the carb is receiving
Go from Climb to cruse - the gauge recovers.

The PIC show the normal reading , and during climb..... I have seem the reading even LOWER than the pic

Attachments

• 59D55A96-D67A-4F70-B4BF-3675BF993D1F.jpeg
    59D55A96-D67A-4F70-B4BF-3675BF993D1F.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 1.54.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 1.54.57 PM.png
    351.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back