• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel pressure low during climb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in 2015 during my panel overhaul, I had an idiot light installed for low fuel pressure. It's never illuminated in flight...until Sat night.

I flew a total of about 6 hours over four hops. On the last hop, at night, while I was in a steady climb from takeoff (600') to cruise altitude (7000'), the fuel pressure light came on. I looked at the gauge, and it was near the "5" tick mark instead near the high end of the green where I normally see it.

I was not at an abnormally high angle of attack--my initial climb was at about 85 mph and then I transitioned to about a 100mph climb as I normally would. The light did not come on at takeoff, but a couple of minutes afterward (after I had transitioned to a 100mph climb).

I have to admit that I don't hawk the fuel pressure gauge during climbout, so I don't know what that needle normally looks like during that timeframe, nor would I have noticed a change over time. (The "idiot light" is aptly named, in this case!)

I turned on the electric boost pump and the needle popped up to the high end of the green and stayed there, and the light went out. Once I leveled off, I turned off the boost pump and the needle settled a bit, to about halfway between the "5" and the high end of the green. It stayed there for the rest of the flight.

I did not observe any change in engine behavior while the light was on, or when I turned the electric pump on or off. I did not observe any obviously reduced performance during any part of my climb.

Last time the engine-driven pump was touched was in Oct 2020 (I can't read the word after "tip"):
1678110959062.png

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back