• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA32-300 (Injected) Fuel Pressure Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

1972 PA32-300
Reaction score
I have a 1972 PA32-300 with a Lyc IO-540-K1G5. This is an injected engine. The cockpit fuel gauge shows very low fuel pressure at high power, typically on climb out, if the electric boost is turned off. (I know the handbook says to keep the boost on during climb). I have had the engine stumble when the pressure drops. Occasionally in cruise, at typical cruise power setting (2400 RPM/24 inches MP) the fuel pressure will dip low (again with boost pump off). Our A&P changed out the mechanical pump last year. No real difference. He checked the pressure with his own gauge and found pressure to be 18 PSI at close to full power with boost off and 23.5 PSI with boost on. He says the fuel flow is good.

The A&P called the pump maker who said this pump uses a plunger. At high power, the plunger may not fully return before the next down stroke, hence it may produce lower output (pressure) than at lower power setting. Our pump, being newer, has a stronger return spring, but may still have this issue. The A&P says it is safe to fly, just use the boost as the POH calls for on full power climbs. He also says the panel gauge reads 2 PSI low, which is some comfort.

Has anyone else expereinced a low fuel pressure issue like this? And if so, what did you do? Thanks, Randy

Latest posts

Back