• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New to me 1977 Archer II, maiden flight, now so questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took possession of my new to me 1977 Archer II that I think is going to be perfect for my mission. I flew her home from Austin Texas to Slidell Louisiana about 425NM. We ran that in about 3-1/2 hours. No problems during the flight. There was on time that while cruising the engine seemed to have an occasional stumble, almost like a periodic miss. Not continuous just once every few seconds. We were running at 7500'. Without adjusting mixture or power I turned on the carb heat for about 30 seconds and the apparent miss went away. All gauges were strong green, EGT which is a sweep gauge was dead middle, and fuel flow at 2400RPM was about 8.3-8.8. Hard to believe carb ice was forming, but it fixed the issue.

Now some things that seem to go against what the POH says and from the other forums I have read on here.

The pilot and co-pilot seat DOES NOT have a vertical height adjustment. The POH says that it should and others on here have pointed to the adjustment knob but this one does not have it. It appears to be factory with the "S" shape seating brackets, just without the vertical component. My short self has to fly with a booster cushion to see over the dash.

There DOES NOT appear to be anywhere on the ship especially where it should be an external power plug to power avionics for practicing or testing. It is definately not in the location it should be. So, how do I save the ship battery while learning and playing with the avionics on the ground?

I cannot find the alternate static port valve. Not sure if it was removed at one point but it is definitely not under the dash on the left side like every other PA28 I have flown in.

Looking forward to the hours to come in MY first aircraft.

Thank you for the conversations and readings

Latest posts

Back