• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Removing tight fuel tank screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLL

Reaction score
I have a slow leak in a fuel tank sending unit gasket. Working to remove the fuel tank is a challenge. I have all but five screws out. Man, some of there are TIGHT. SS screws, installed 5 years ago as the spar SB was done in my pre buy. So not sure if just over tightened with a drill or a lack of anti-seize.

Looking for hints on how for removing the last five. One was rounded when I started, so that might be a drill out with reversed threaded bit (and an extractor maybe). My IA suggested using a Dremel and making a not to fit a standard driver blade. Not sure if that;s better than drilling or not (Drilling might mean replacing the underlying nut plates, which IA says are riveted in. so drilling not his first choice).

Amazing how tight some of these are. Broke the tips off two good screwdrivers, including my IA's swanky long Snap on one.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks much.

Gary

Latest posts

Back