• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel Tank Repair Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts and past experiences/solutions to some minor fuel tank leaks along the rivets that hold the side panels to the top/bottom of the fuel tanks (pics included). This has been an on/off again issue for a while and last week pulled the tank with my IA, applied a very slight negative pressure to the tank and applied ProSeal/Chemseal to the (I think) shop end of the rivets that normally sit inside the wing cavity. Intent was to suck in sealant into the rivet cavities and to seal the very minor leaks...well that didn't work. Mainstream option is to remove, send off, and have the tank completely broken apart and rebuilt (last done in 2017), but plane goes into paint this weekend (good timing I know). Some suggestions out there on sloshing the tank, but very aware of the ADs and SBs out there, but don't know if there are any approved or recommended paths forward to take care of the tank other than a complete rebuild. Appreciate any thoughts.
IMG_2492.jpg
IMG_2490.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2491.jpg
    IMG_2491.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back