• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Brake questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrocks

Reaction score
Hi folks, it's been awhile but I have run across something that my IA is being cagey on, meaning he probably already knows the answer but wants me to try and figure it out for myself lol.

I recently disassembled the brakes and wheels and MLG struts on my 180 Comanche. It's an early (1958) plane. It has Cleveland two piston brakes and still has riveted discs. The discs are in good shape and still airworthy according to the caliper measurement. So we stripped and painted the forks, spacers, cylinder housings, and wheels, and put it back together with new strut seal kits.

The linings also have plenty of material left, in fact they are as thick as the new ones I have on hand, so we did not replace them.

We tagged all the parts so we could reassemble them on the correct sides, etc.

First attempt at assembly, the removable backing and lining side was pulled up tight against the disc and wheel wouldn't turn. We figured out that one of the wheel spacers is slightly longer than the other. Switching them so the longer one was on the inside, opposite the brake, moved the wheel toward the brake cylinder slightly and solved it on that side. However it still drags slightly.

Assembling the other side, that brake really drags. Again, on the removable backing plate/lining side. As in, when you tighten the through bolts, the wheel will not turn without a LOT of force.

We did clean all the paint off the mating surfaces etc.

Further to this, my housings have solid spacer plates, with a formica spacer in between.....which is not the setup shown in the parts catalogue.

My IA had this to say: "we used to take Comanche brakes apart and find extra spacers in them all the time for this reason".

Does any of the experienced folks here have any educated advice on where to go with this, or hints on what the issue might be or a resolution?

Before you hit "reply", please note the following:

1. I am not a dummy.
2. I am working under the direct supervision of a certificated AP with an Inspection Authorization.
3. We are referencing the most recent version of the Piper maintenance manual and parts catalogue.

I reference these items in hopes of keeping the non-related comments to a minimum.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back