• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Pre-Heating with Exhaust Air?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilepolice

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone else has tried this.

I have a 96 F350 7.3L turbodiesel truck with a 4" exhaust. I procured 20ft of "Dryer" hose and attached it to the exhaust on the truck with the truck set at high idle. The other end went under the bottom of the cowling of the airplane.

In about 10 minutes the CHT's went from 30F to 45F and I'm sure with more patience I could get things up around 60F.

The exhaust air from the truck is decently warm (100-110F or so?) at the outlet from the dryer hose and I didn't bother with any blankets, cowling plugs, etc.

I'm wondering if there's any sort of regulation against this method of preheat, or if there's a list of the only approved methods?

Unfortunately I don't have any electrics at the hangar, and the only options I've seen for pre-heat via 12V are typically in the $300-600 range. This "solution" cost me about $20 in dryer hose, and I'm running the truck anyway.

The exhaust air isn't the cleanest, but I'm not breathing it or sitting in the plane waiting; and inside the cowling isn't the cleanest either. I didn't bother with blankets or trying to plug any holes in the cowling, I just let the exhaust air drift out the cowling inlets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back