• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Red Dragon pre-heat procedures for Piper retractibles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschaible

N2824D
Reaction score
I have a Red Dragon propane heater for my Arrow IV. I live in NJ where typical winter temps are in the 20's, although last week we hit temps as low as -6 F.

My current procedure is to fire up the heater anytime its in the 30's or below. I insert the flex hose into each air inlet with a cowl plug in the other side. I heat for approximately 30 minutes while I do my pre-flight and then call for a weather brief. If it's really cold, I also drape a padded mover's blanket over the cowl (folded and doubled). This procedure does a good job heating the cylinders, but probably not such a good job of heating the oil.

I have been wondering if I placed the heater hose directly under the open nose wheel gear door, would this be more efficient in that the rising column of hot air would heat both the oil pan as well as the cylinder jugs? Any thoughts on whether this might be a better procedure? (PS - I dot not have access to 120V for electric heating systems.)

Thanks,
Jack
PA28RT-201

Latest posts

Back