• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Pre-Heat cell switch - FST Regal Pro - two thumbs up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've used a couple different brands of cellular switch to run my pre-heat over the years, both failed when the on circuit board relays stopped working, and no, they weren't overloaded.

I came across a different product, from FSTllc ( www.fstllc.com ) that looks a little more hardy.

regal_pro.jpg

It is available through Spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/uphoneit11-13671.php?clickkey=1958166

This is an all metal construction, 1700 watts capacity, and easy to see (even in daylight) power indicators for both outlets. Inside it has the typical cell switch board, but unique to this product, it uses stand free industrial relays. The on circuit board relays remain as a low current circuit driving the main relays. It comes supplied with a remote antenna, as well as the usual stubby. $385.

They also offer a slightly lower cost ($307), plastic construction & lower capacity unit without the off board relays, but I think the Pro is worth the extra few bucks.

I spoke several times with the proprietor, and like any good successful businessman he was quite reachable, informative and accommodating.

The unit is supplied with an AT&T pay as go card, which costs you $4/mo, or they can manage your card service for $80/yr, if you don't want to be bothered by the refills.

That pay as you go service, will not work in Canada, but a Canadian Fido GSM SIM, from any mall outlet or Fido store, works just fine. I use their $100/yr unlimited texting plan. (yes we get hosed for our telecom here). A Roger's SIM would work as well, but they don't have any plans that make economic sense.

So, I'm all fixed up! Been using the box for a bit now, and it works like a champ. FST does provide an app, but I prefer just using the raw texts back and forth.

If you have reliable internet in your hangar, just get one of the any number of the low cost internet switches, but if not, this may be just the unit to consider.

* Orest

Latest posts

Back