• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Plugging in planes...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochraneScuba

Reaction score
It's 18 this morning here in Nashville. I was explaining to a non-flying friend how a pilot would want to plug in their plane for a few hours to pre heat the oil and maybe throw a blanket over the cowling, if they were going flying today.

Their reply was "...makes sense", but then asked "so what's the difference between needing to plug in a plane, and not a car?". I know the lubrication system can be different tween a plane vs car, but beyond that the only explanation I could offer was maybe it could be because cars are run a lot more frequently than planes. And, is the lubrication system THAT much different, I mean the oil is basically kept in a sump and has to lubricate from the top down.

I was stationed in Grand Forks ND for 10 years, and we always left cars & trucks plugged in during the winter...a good 20' extension cord was worth it's weight in gold up there. Of course we typically had temps ranging from -20 to 32, and 32 was considered a warm day.

Latest posts

Back