• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Can someone kindly explain....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 396 GPS that came with the plane when I bought it a little over 5 years ago. A handy little device, but limited by the battery. But, as luck would have it, it also came with a power adapter cord that plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle. Worked great..... until my buddy hooked the cord with his foot getting out of the plane. Pulled the wires right out of the end of the cord. No biggie, or so I thought..... I bought an aftermarket one, fit perfectly..... and worked perfectly..... in the car. But would not work in the airplane! So, maybe the cig lighter is damaged, I thought. Nope, checks out just fine. Maybe it's just me.... maybe it's not making contact in the cig lighter. Feels fine though.... I fooled with this thing for months, and just gave up and decided to buy an OEM cord from Garmin. And guess what.... it works! In the car, AND in the plane! So I get to looking, and dimensionally, the two are identical. In fact, the case is the same on both. Only the tip is different. So, can someone explain why this happens? In the pic, the Garmin is on the left, the no-name generic one is on the right.

Attachments

• 20220831_151332.jpg
    20220831_151332.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back