• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-32 Upgrade!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heftiger

Reaction score
Towards the end of last year the wife hinted at wanting a bigger/faster airplane. That hint was enough to get this process rolling.

After looking at Archer prices extensively, it looked like the improving economy and increasing aircraft prices could allow me to turn a profit on my PA28-181. So I listed it.
Within a couple weeks I had multiple interested parties and 1 solid offer.
Everything with the sale went well.

On to the next!
During the sale process we found a Turbo Lance that seemed to have everything we wanted. I booked a same day flight to see and fly the plane. We made an offer.

Our pre-purchase inspection revealed an undocumented weld on the engine mount. We let the seller know that we would only be comfortable with the mount if it was sent of for a complete overhaul. After some negotiations the seller agreed to pay for the parts and labor to get it done.

Fast forward to January. Mount is sent off for overhaul. 4-6 week lead time. Ugh!
View attachment IMG_4954.jpg
View attachment IMG_5082.jpg

The mount finally comes back and looks beautiful. We had the genius idea of coupling the engine mount replacement with a new engine monitor install (read time and $$$)

Again, you have to fast forward 3-4 weeks because of scheduling conflicts. But the engine finally goes on!
View attachment IMG_5158.jpg

Then the snow comes... so much for a test flight!

Finally yesterday there was a break in the weather and we were able to get the plane up in the air. But not without a little manual labor first.
View attachment IMG_5185.jpg
View attachment IMG_5191.jpg
View attachment IMG_5190.jpg

Anyways, welcome me to the PA32 club! You guys have already been an invaluable resource during the last couple months when the aircraft was in the shop.
I look forward to flying and learning!

TLDR: Upgraded to a PA32, took forever to get the engine mount repaired.

Latest posts

Back