• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Oil Pressure Relief Springs, Phillips Victory 20W-50 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arzenmaster

Cherokee owner since 1983
Reaction score
I have been switching to a multi grade Phillips 20W-50 oil and camguard for winter operations for years. Since installing an MVP50 engine monitor we needed to remove the only washer from the short style pressure relief valve to keep the takeoff pressure at or below 85 psi on takeoff when using multi vis oil in the winter. Single grade oils didn't seem to build as much oil pressure. It was probably running at 90ish on takeoff with multi vis for years. Single weight stayed under 85. The higher pressure just wasn't readable on the analog gauges, or just easier to miss.

My last oil change I switched from Phillips 20W-50 to Phillips Victory 20W-50 plus camguard. Apparently, the Victory builds more oil pressure than the non Victory oil. I ended up seeing 90 to 92 psi on takeoff, which reduced to 78-80 PSI during cruise. I didn't abort the takeoff roll thinking that 115 PSI was acceptable for takeoff. Reviewing the TCDS and limitations, my O-320-2DA doesn't list 115 PSI as max takeoff. That rules out asking EI to reset the redline limit on my engine monitor.

Has anyone else noticed a difference with Phillips Victory 20W-50 and their oil pressure readings? I'm kind of sold on the Victory concept of the antiscuff additive, and camguard,. I don't want to switch back to the 20W-50 without the additive. but?

Since I can't remove another washer, shy of purchasing an adjustable oil pressure relief setup, does anyone know which spring part number I should be looking for my next step?

Any input would be welcomed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back