• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lycoming anti-scuffing additive LW-16702..can it hurt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On another thread currently ongoing on titled “Multi-grade vs Straight,” @Joshua Phillips made a comment that he does not put any of the Aeroshell plus oils in his non-H2AD engine because it is not needed. I use Phillips 66 Victory 100AW (which is equivalent to an Aeroshell plus oil with regards to it containing this additive) on my O-540 because it is available for a good price, competitive with non-plus Aeroshell 100W, direct from the online Phillips 66 store with free shipping. So, I figure that I am getting more for less. Or am I? I include the following letter written by Edward Kollin, creator of CamGuard, in response to what he felt was misleading or incorrect information in an article published on the American Bonanza Society:

“Here is the response that I sent to the ABS when I saw this. I have not seen it published.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on Bob Ripley’s misunderstandings about Camguard. He states that if you use Aeroshell W100Plus there is no reason to use Camguard as the “corrosion inhibitor” is already in the Shell product. As I will explain, this is incorrect and I will also explain a couple of related issues.

The Aeroshell W100Plus (and 15W-50) contains 0.05% of a ferrous metal rust inhibitor, 0.05% of a yellow metal (copper) corrosion inhibitor and 0.9% of a butylated/ isopropylated triphenyl phosphate, b-TPP, antiscuff/antiwear (LW-16702) to meet the Lycoming SB 446E and SI 1409C for scuffing.

Camguard contains 25 times the level of rust inhibitor than the Aeroshell products, and demonstrates vastly superior rust protection. Shell cannot increase the level of rust inhibitor in their oil because the type of chemistry (acid ester) they are using causes bearing corrosion problems at increased concentration. Camguard uses different chemistry. So if you use Camguard WITH the Aeroshell W100Plus you end up with 26 times (1x from the Plus and 25X from the Camguard) the level of rust inhibitor over the W100 alone. I recommend using AeroShell W100 or Phillips 20W-50 oils as they are cheaper than the W100Plus and they are good platforms for Camguard.

There are two other issues concerning the Plus and the 15W-50. The b-TPP, in the Aeroshell and Lycoming LW-16702, is a good antiwear but it is a very good friction modifier. This is very important when using these products in Continental engines utilizing starter adapters. A new or “in spec” starter adapter will not have a problem with this compound, however, a worn or marginal adapter will often slip (starter turning but prop not turning) when using oils with this additive. It is not uncommon to have an older adapter start slipping when changing over to the Shell products for the first time. If an adapter starts slipping, changing the oil back to an unadditized oil (w100) will often stop the slipping. However, this is usually only temporary as slipping causes changes to the starter adapter sleeve friction fit and the adapter will eventually need to be serviced.

I was very careful to not use anything in Camguard that would reduce the friction and cause starter adapter problems. And the anti-wear components in Camguard protect the shaft and spring surfaces from wearing.

The final issue with the 100Plus is the degradation of the b-TPP itself in the engine. It decomposes (through hydrolysis) in the presence of water, heat and metal all of which are found in abundance in an engine. When Shell changed to b-TTP, from methylated triphenyl phosphate, which is better known as TCP, because of neurotoxicity issues, people reported copper in their oil analysis went from 5 to 250ppm. This increase was due to the breakdown of the butylated triphenyl phosphate to an oil soluble form of phosphoric acid.

Shell responded to this problem not by yanking the offending agent out of their oil but rather by adding a good slug of copper inhibitor. This protected the copper but left the acids in place to attack other things. The seals in the engine are susceptible to acid attack, with the silicone seals the most sensitive. With the Shell 100Plus, the silicon levels are usually higher in oil analysis and the air filter most often gets the blame. The good news is that the seal conditioners in Camguard mitigate this problem altogether. So in actuality, you SHOULD use Camguard with AeroShell W100PLUS, 15W-50 and Lycoming LW-16702 for the multiple reasons just described.

If Mr. Ripley or any other people on your staff have any technical questions about Camguard, lubricants or fuels they should feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Ed

Edward Kollin
Technical Director
Aircraft Specialties Lubricants”

On the other hand, there is no evidence of increased silicone or copper in my oil analysis (attached). So, I am exactly 50/50 undecided as to whether or not I will switch from Phillips 66 Victory 100AW to Aeroshell 100W (non-plus). I will eventually make up my mind, but I just wanted to stir the pot and see if anything happens.

7DB20972-15B0-43F2-B968-54DA4FE0DC5C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back