• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

High oil pressure - would you do anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
According to this report card by Savvy, my oil pressures are high compared to other Dakotas. I have bounced on 100 psi on takeoffs a few times, but it was very brief. I decided to look at this Savvy report card after the last flight because I actually got just past redline at 103psi on my first takeoff (went around the pattern 4 times and the pressure never got that high again). While I have read that high oil pressure is normal when the oil is cold as may often be the case on the first takeoff of the day, I do not want to ignore a potential problem especially when my *cruise* oil pressure is higher than other planes of the same type although still in the green. Am I worrying about nothing?

Edit: I am using X/C 20w-50.

Edit 2: https://apps.savvyaviation.com/flights/3847282/87605670-e1fe-4c50-8c61-f366f4caad4c

Edit 3: Just found this on page 5-8 of the Lycoming Operator's Manual. I wonder if the adjustable version would be present in a recently overhauled engine. Should I even ask my mechanic about this?

c. Oil Relief Valve (Non-Adjustable) – The function of the oil pressure relief valve is to maintain engine oil pressure within specified limits. The valve, although not adjustable, may be controlled by the addition of a maximum of nine STD-425 washers under the cap to increase pressure or the use of a spacer (Lycoming P/N 73629 or 73630) to decrease pressure. A modification on later models has eliminated the need for the spacers. Particles of metal or other foreign matter lodged between the ball and seat will result in faulty readings. It is advisable, therefore, to disassemble, inspect and clean the valve if excessive pressure fluctuations are noted.

d. Oil Relief Valve (Adjustable) – The adjustable oil relief valve enables the operator to maintain engine oil pressure within the specified limits. If the pressure under normal operating conditions should consistently exceed the maximum or minimum specified limits, adjust the valve as follows.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 10.27.23 PM.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back