• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Phillips X/C20W50 leads to higher oil pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After running the O320E3D with AeroShell W80/W100 + CamGuard for more than five years now I have switched to Phillips X/C20W50 twice. Reason was to be independent from different OATs by using one grade all year long. CamGuard was also added again.

I have now experienced higher oil pressure during take off close to the red line. After levelling out this comes back to normal range again. Outer temperature at ground level was about 65 °F. When comparing the Technical Data Sheets of both grades I found out a different kinematic viscosity at any temperature mentioned for the AeroShell and Phillips grade, means a higher one for the latter.

Could this be the reason behind? Should I also be concerned when being close to the red line for that moment?

Any comments are welcome, thank you, Matthias

Latest posts

Back