• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

O-360-A4A Cushioned Mag adapter or Impulse coupler, Right side

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• Leave it alone working fine?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Install the $8k Lycoming cushioned adapter?

• Install an impulse coupled magneto on the right side?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I was just pa-rousing the dual mag post and thought I would bring this up. Left magneto is the one with the existing impulse coupler (and associated coupler spring) that in effect dampens the rotor with said spring.
I was going to install an impulse coupler mag on both of mine due to a Lycoming SB that says to install a " Cushioned Adapter" on the right mag of my O-360-A4A. That "Adapter" is about $8k that last I checked. Since it is legal to install twin impulse coupler mags my thinking was that the impulse coupler spring would dampen the rotor in the Right mag the same or better than the $8k "Adapter" would...
https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB411D Adapter Kit for Magneto Isolation Drive.pdf
I've talked to a few engine shops and Nobody opts for the $8k adapter. I guess if you do a factory exchange/OH, Lycoming will install the $8k adapter when you get it back. I've looked for used adapters to no avail. I don't have any records of right mag failure on my plane. Since Lycoming says it is to improve reliability and I have no record of failure in 8200 hours of operation on my engine, what would you do?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back