• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New member, gear issue with Arrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibson

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a '75 Arrow with 2200 hrs. The plane has been sitting unused since 2016 so I'm going through it thoroughly. The gear pump and motor was overhauled in 2012 or so, but only flown 5 hours or so.
At first gear retraction test, the gear started up normally, stopped briefly half way up, drooped the mains down slightly, then retracted normally. It acted like there was air in the system.
Now, the gear retracts but the pump cycles on rhythmically every 3 seconds. No leaks in the system. Plane still has the 'auto' gear system, and in fact the diaphragm was replaced when the pump was. When I first tried to 'lock' the lever 'up' with the pin it was very difficult.
My first thought was that the pump was bad, but because it has virtually no time on it, I question that. Could it have gone bad again from sitting? Other than the pump issue, it needs a bushing and a heim bearing but otherwise it's in great condition.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Joe

Latest posts

Back