• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New innovation for avionics, finally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick G

1977 Lance P32R-300
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After years of not seeing much innovation for certified aircraft, it seems the flood gates are now open.

My requirement is to have fully redundant set of instruments while eliminating the mechanical instruments, and without hacking my panel too much or going all glass. (if you like glass, congratulations.) I want it to look like traditional instruments but be digital.

What I have is sufficient for light to medium IFR. (except for the G430 to Avidyne upgrade which I am doing).

My motivation for upgrades is - I would really enjoy having an Aspen E5. The TrueTrak autopilot is nice but I have a working CIIIc right now. My gyros all work and are stable. DG doesn't drift. Altitude hold not working but I find that in a Lance I don't really need it because the airplane is quite stable. Or, I can just swap the altitude hold module for one that someone is pulling out (if you have one let me know - I'm interested). In other words, I can wait a while.

So that leaves the instruments as being the next big target. Without having to sink bug $$$ into fully redundant Aspens, and still requiring a redundant setup, how does one get rid of the gyros and vaccum system? Especially because most installations require a converter box of some kind to interface with the autopilot, unless it's a fully digital unit like Garmin or TrueTrak.

So came across the AV-30 while browsing to see what is new to the market. It seems this was a merger. Uavionix picked up this product line and is now certifying it.
https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

From FAQ:
Can the AV-30 replace my mechanical AI / Direction Indicator / Turn Coordinator?
We are asking for approval to utilize the AV-30 as a stand-alone attitude indicator, attitude indicator and directional gyro (dual unit installation), installation as a replacement for the turn coordinator (leaving the existing attitude indicator in place), and as the required backup in an EFIS installation.

Initially it will be certified to interface with S-tek autopilots but Century is on the horizon.

I found the pricing a pre-order at $1995. What a bargain! Seems it does more stuff than the Garmin G5 and I don't have to cut up my plastic.

Latest posts

Back