• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

My AI died...can GI 275 back up an EFD1000 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuisO

1976 Lance PA-32R-300
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for your feedback.

What I have:
  • Factory Century III which is working just fine
  • Aspen EFD1000 PFD (the original, NOT Max)
  • Garmin 430W (connected to Aspen)
  • GPSS from Aspen guides the AP
  • Factory Mitchell AI gives attitude input to the Century AP (factory setup)
  • No other vacuum instruments other than AI
Situation:
  • The Mitchell AI died
  • My vacuum pump is about to die (500+ hours)
  • Cost to overhaul the AI and get a new vac pump: ~$1000
What I'm thinking:
  • I eventually want to go glass (G3X)
  • I don't want to sink $1000 down the drain right now (AI + vac pump)
  • Get a Garmin GI 275 (ADAHRS+AP hardware version) to drive the Century AP
  • Remove vacuum system
Perceived advantages:
  • I can use the GI 275 in the future as a backup to the G3X
  • Potentially:
    • I could get rid of the rest of the analog gauges (Airspeed, Altimeter, required now as per Aspen STC [Evolution FAQ Aspen Avionics - Flight Display Glass Cockpit]) since GI 275 would be the backup for these as well as for the Attitude
    • I could get rid of the Turn Coordinator (BOTH Aspen and GI 275 have TC, so why not?)
What is wrong with the above thought process???

Thanks,
Luis.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back