• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New Forward Stab trim cables question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarm98

PA32 @ KARR
Reaction score
Just replaced both the left (with electric trim) and right forward stab trim cables on my T tailed Lance. I got the McFarlane replacements (cut to length with ball and turnbuckle ends installed). We set the tension and lubed and checked that the cables were properly routed on all the pulleys. Ran it back and forth a few times manually and with electric trim and it feels and sounds like the cables are kind of "crunchy" like rubbing past each other on the trim barrel as i run it forward and aft. They are the exact length as the ones we pulled off but seem (due to them being new) a little thicker. We thought this may be due to the old ones we're on the aircraft for the last forty years and have stretched and thinned out under tension. Do they smooth out eventually? We even put some LPS3 on the cables thinking that would help. Or is there more we need to do? My A & P said that he didn't remember that happening on the Cherokee that he did but that it would be okay after a while. I Just want to make sure we didn't miss something. Any help, insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Latest posts

Back