• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

28-180 Won't stay trim

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bever

Reaction score
Doing annual so we're addressing this. A nagging issue I've been dealing with for a while.
Here's the problem. In cruise, I can trim for hands off. After approx 30 seconds to a minute the nose will slooowly creep up or down. With micro adjustment I can trim again. Then repeat.
Started going over all related components.
The stab / trim settings are correct according to the book.
No movement on elevator bearings.
Elevator cable tension was low, 25 (book calls for 40) and trim cable was 6 (15).
The trim cable "barrel" in the tail cone is good and secure.
The one item that was added when we did the MAJOR annual several years ago was installed the Knots 2 U elevator/trim gap seal. I had not flown the plane prior to that addition so I don't know the previous handling characteristics .
Typically, 30 gal fuel w/ two 175 lb guys in the front and 20 lbs tools in baggage area. This puts us in the forward side of the load box but still within the suggested limit. Wheel pants installed.
How long will your plane stay in trim?
Any ideas on the cause / solution of this?
Thanks..

Latest posts

Back