• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

At Wits End on Trim Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bever

Reaction score
4 years ago we completed an extensive work order on '68 Cherokee 180. If it could be removed and inspected it was. 2 year project. On board overseer's were two A&P's and an I/A. All reassembly and rigging was by the book (service and parts manuals) and used book specs. The elec. trim and wing leveler were not re incorporated but the trim cable still routes thru the trim servo. The issue is that it will not stay in trim. At cruise, I'll level off, adjust to 75% then dial in trim. It will hold momentarily but then slowly climb or descend, readjust and the same result. Spent hours at 3K' and at 9K' same result. Soooo I was content with just "dealing with it". My typical trips are less than 2 hr flights. Now I'm flying less because of the constant trim workload. This is the only Cherokee I have ever flown. Recently, I ask a Warrior owner/friend to fly with me. The trim wheel requires very little movement to affect trim. He was not able to hold ALT / Airspeed and indicated that his Warrior wasn't near as "sensitive". We then flew in his plane, a tapered wing, larger (longer) stabilizer and 160HP. Waaay different. His trim wheel required more movement for adjustments but I could easily set AS and ALT. His conclusion: Get an Auto Pilot. Wait --What?? I'm determine to solve this. This is what I know. Ailerons and flaps are rigged to book specs. Lateral stability is excellent. All control cables at spec tension. All components in tail cone are free and easy to move. Just a very/ very slight up/down on the trim cable drum. With trim indicator at "N", the very front of the stab is at the top of the data plate and the servo tab is inline with stab trailing edge. Knots 2 U Stab gap seal installed. The tach is dead steady. I can mark the control column and it does not move once I get in supposed trim. The chrome column is clean, smooth and moves effortlessly with one finger. Typical load is one 170# pilot, 17 gal in each tank and 10 to 20 lbs in baggage. All pulleys and cables are clean, lubed and move without restriction. Knots 2 U flap, aileron and stab gap seals....also their wing tips. I discussed this with them and they are not aware of any issues like this caused from their products. Very helpful folk. Talking with Piper factory folk is like talking to a lug nut. My A/I is out of ideas. He has very little exp with Cherokee. He's only able to verify what is in the SM. Aside from this trim issue, the plane is in excellent condition.
If there is a Cherokee 180 expert in this group (or if you know of one) that is somewhere in the South, I need help. I'm near New Orleans. I would like to schedule time, fly to your shop and have this issue reviewed and hopefully rectified. I have been working on aircraft for 40 years. I'm at my wits end. Thanks

Latest posts

Back