• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Mag drop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyH

Reaction score
Yesterday, during run-up, my right mag dropped a little more than 200 RPMs. I didn't know what to do (new pilot), so I taxied back to the hangar. I called an AP, and he said to clear it by running it up, leaning it out to where it ran rough, turn to the right mag, and it should clear.
I did this and it dropped normally after that. The plugs had just been cleaned back in August, and I wasn't thinking that they could've fouled due to taxiing too rich. Do most of you taxi to the run-up area rich or lean? Once the lead had been cleared from the plug, she ran fine. Lesson learned.

I know I'm a newbie, and I didn't learn that during my training, or at least I don't remember. Had I been somewhere, and not known how to do that, I may have cancelled a flight. I don't know what I don't know. I can easily admit that without bruising my ego.

I thanked my AP and went home, and missed a perfect afternoon of flying.

In my Warrior trainer, if I recall, I could've sworn it was both, right, both, left, and back to both. Mine is both, left, both,right, both. Does this make a difference on which mag is tested first? I'm going with what is on my switch placard. I don't like it when I can't get something straight, kinda like airspace back in ground school. I had to think about that one a while.

Am I just not remembering things as well? LOL

I'm definately not mechanically inclined, which makes me wonder why I have this airplane at times. And I just bought it back in July. Needless to say, I'm a little frustrated.

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back