• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for NH contractor to epoxy-paint hangar floor

johncotton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hangar at KMHT, the floor of which I'd like to have painted with epoxy paint. If anyone knows of a decent contractor to perform this work, I'd love a recommendation. The contractor would need to be able to pass a security screening as well.

Sen63F

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my hangar floor painted with epoxy paint about 6 months ago. They used a degreaser and cleaner three times to remove all the old oil stains as much as possible. So far, still looks great, with no signs of chipping or peeling. I'm not in NH, but wanted to pass along the tip on degreasing.

johncotton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I have a line on a couple of local contractors that I found using Home Advisor https://www.homeadvisor.com. Getting some quotes now; I'll see if they're savvy enough to pick up on things like the need for degreasing.

Sen63F

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, they checked to make sure that sealer had not been used on the concrete before. If it had been, I think it would have been an expensive process to remove the sealer.

skywag

BE300 CE500 DA-50 LR-JET
Reaction score
I have two hangars at Bremerton. The one with a very nice epoxy floor retains water, especially after a "Pineapple Express." It will often have 1/8" of water on top. The uncoated floor stays dry.

johncotton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, they checked to make sure that sealer had not been used on the concrete before. If it had been, I think it would have been an expensive process to remove the sealer.
Thanks. It doesn't look like the floor was ever sealed, but the company that looked at the job included grinding the floor, both to remove everything, and to smooth out some of the rough areas. (It's a recent subdivision of a larger hangar, so there are some artifacts of previous partitions.)

Got 2 quotes, both $6K. Now the obstacle is convincing my wife that it's worth spending that much on a hangar that I am renting. I'm working on her ;)

Warriorgreg

Reaction score
Go to the Home Depot and $3-400 on floor epoxy and $20 on rollers. It’s definitely a DIY project. Especially for a rental.

johncotton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to the Home Depot and $3-400 on floor epoxy and $20 on rollers. It’s definitely a DIY project. Especially for a rental.
I thought about that. Years ago I did my own garage that way, including acid-washing to prep the surface. Result was a minor disaster. But that was 20 years ago; materials have likely improved since then. And I'm a couple of decades older and wiser ;) Thanks for the suggestion!

Sen63F

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I paid $500 and change to have mine done, but it didn’t need grinding. The epoxy paint was available through a paint store. If you are interested, I can find out the part numbers,

ksykes

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Homedepot versions can work, but they can also be a disaster. There's a need to have a scrupulously clean surface and the prep has to be just right. If there is moisture coming up through the floor, the stuff can peel pretty easily. Some key words; 100% solids, Diamond grinding (you can rent one), Muratic acid to etch the floor. I'm hoping to do mine once I clear the wait list, but I can't justify having it done at the cost/square foot that my garage was.
I had my Florida garage re-done by a pro. It was done originally by the builder and it was coming up in huge sections. Had it redone and they diamond ground it, and did three coats. It's rock solid, and thick. Super happy with it.