• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking at a new starter......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There has been several times in the last few months that the starter bendix has slipped.. it is the original starter that was installed with the O-360-A4A engine, and no indication that it was rebuilt since the engine was installed.... so old. I have gotten away with application of some lube on the Bendix and taping on the starter nose with a Leatherman tool, But that did not work Friday after refueling. had to hand prop it to restart.

Thanks to the newly rebuilt magnetos it started right up!.. ( Thanks @flyguydon! )

This morning is did crank over and all was ok... just do not want that issue again.

So, I really need to remove some weight from the nose as the O-360 is about 60 lbs more than the O-320, thus looking at the Sky-Tek starters. Did a few searches here but did not find what I was looking for. The weight savings is good but also the faster cranking speed / more torque is always helpful. The flywheel has 149 teeth.

So what have you used, and why??... looking at Aircraft Spruce there are 2 models with slightly differing motors, bearings, and weight, along with cost. The 149-12HT with the Wound Field motor, ball bearings at both ends, and other listed information looks like the better unit. at $582.00 it is spendy. Not having a permanent magnet on the nose of the aircraft may be a good thing??!!... Not sure.

The other one, 149-12LS with a permanent Magnet motor, 1.1 lbs lighter at the $495.00 price point looks like a better deal but at what longevity???... 1 bearing and 1 bushing.... I do think ball bearings are better. Paying the higher cost makes sense if it lasts longer and starts faster.

Thanks for the input.... I do not what to have to hand prop this plane again!.

Latest posts

Back