• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Weight adjusted Vspeeds are real!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After getting some excellent advice on this forum for this new owner and even downloading an excel sheet of weight-adjusted speeds, with all of the work done for me it was time for some real-world testing. I've got a 1966 pa-32-300 that I just got back from a complete avionics and interior overhaul. WIth just myself and 50 gallons of fuel, I was 2500 lbs.

Here is what I found.

Weight adjusted ( W.A) Vx = 81mph I climbed out with flaps at 10 at 85 mph from a short grass strip and it climbed so much better than when at 95mph
Vs - W.A. - listed 61mph - I found it was fully stalled at 58mph with stall light on around 62mph did this one twice
Vso flaps 10 - not much difference 56mph stall
Vso flaps 25 - stalled at 54mph
Vso Flaps 40 48mph!

All of them were done power off and all of them were incredible docile with no wing drop. I didn't hold any of them in a long-duration stall but I also wasn't recovering when the light came on. These are the speeds that I found I was no longer flying with the nose falling.

I came into my short ( 2000) foot grass strip with obstacles at both ends with my new adjusted speeds and a newfound confidence in how the plane stalls and how it behaves. This time I used 100mph on downwind, 90 mph on base, 80 mph on final with 70mph on short final and it was a much nicer experience. I was over the power lines, down and stopped not much past half so 1000' without really braking.

All of this was done in calm wind conditions although it was a 10-knot crosswind, no gusts to deal with so no gust factor to consider.

For me, this makes complete sense and I will be using weight-adjusted speeds from now on. Thanks for the awesome information and just wanted to share the results!

Kyle

Latest posts

Back