• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Sky-Tec Starters - 149-NL vs 149-12LS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2105T

DHolt
Reaction score
I currently have a Sky-Tec 149-12LS starter on my 1971 Arrow (IO-360). I suffer what some have called a "bump to start" issue -- it cranks through one blade and hangs up. I stop and then re-engage the starter and it then cranks through properly and fairly rapidly starts up. The battery is new enough and maintained. I've read elsewhere that people who have experience this issue and switched to the Sky-Tec 149-NL starter which solved the problem. Does anyone have any experience with the differences/pros/cons between these two starters or with the 'bump to start' issue? Is it worth the swap? I believe Sky-Tec has an exchange program but I don't know if that's for the same core model or would allow for an LS to NL change.

Latest posts

Back