• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-12 engine upgrade experience?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerichod505

'47 PA-12 and '63 PA-28
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the O-235 in my PA-12 is starting to show signs that it may be nearing end of life. looking at options for it if i have to replace it.
note my PA-12 is pretty much "stock" looking and i like that. no flaps, PA-14 gear, etc. only PA-18 parts on it are the tailfeathers.

looking at options - but anything is going to be heavier, of course. O-290 is 18-20 lbs heavier, O-320 is pushing 26 to 30 lbs heavier depending on which dash number.
i am based at 6500' msl so yeah - more power would be nice, but we get along fine keeping the plane light and making smart decisions, so for my mission the power isnt essential.

anyone with before and after experience upgrading to an O-290 or O-320 in a 12 care to weigh in on how the plane handles with the increased weight in the nose, and did you go the route of a shorter motor mount, etc.?
if you had to do it all over again would you?

thanks...
r.

Latest posts

Back