• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Legal counsel

Rightrudder

Reaction score
Looking for a aviation attorney in the New Orleans area I have talked with AOPA legal team. This has to do with faulty AP work.
Thanks in advance

crgreener

Reaction score
Good luck. As in other areas, unless somebody has died or was maimed, prpbably a waste of your time. An A&P has nothing in his pockets.

06CSaratoga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did the AOPA legal team advise? Were they not able to provide a reference?

EAA also has a legal team for advocacy issues that might be able to steer you towards someone.

Strictly out of curiosity, would you be able to provide some background on what happened? One of the greatest things about this forum is that we often learn from each other’s experiences, whether we are the teacher or the student... maybe one of us has had a similar situation?

Regardless, best of luck to you! Hopefully it isn’t too serious an issue. Keep us informed!

Rightrudder

Reaction score
The AOPA legal was very helpful , they gave me a list of local AOPA attorneys in the New Orleans area . I contacted several of them half of which didn’t associate with AOPA anymore the other half basically said my situation would be tough to get a settlement,
What happened in the fewest words possible, I purchased a plane , did some research on local shops and found one that seemed too have a good reputation to do a prebuy inspection, i was purchasing this plane based on 38 smoh and buying the plane to harvest the engine for a RV project. Sell the rest for parts . I specifically told the shop to make sure the engine was solid . Change oil ,check filter . inspect engine and logs . I was charged $3,500 for this which included turning the prebuy into a annual as I planned to fly this plane while the RV project was going. The mechanic informed me the filter looked good and engine was all new firewall forward no metal in the filter.. i paid for the plane . Went to pick the plane up to fly it 850 nm home , plane wouldn’t start . Battery cables corroded , one tip tank was bone dry later to find it was inop. Had to jump the plane to fly it home , upon a fuel stop had to be jumped again. Got the plane home flew another 10 hrs changed the oil to find no spin on filter but oil screens , which happened to be full of metal and debris and looked like by the safety wire and dust it hadn’t been touched , called mechanic he said fly another 10 hrs change oil again , did that to found 1/2 amount of metal in screens . Took plane to faa certified shop engine shop they found several things wrong just from visual inspection , engine needed new cylinders and pistons and a complete overhaul . Made a formal complaint with the fsdo which they found the shop did nothing wrong , as the fsdo inspector mentioned he had personally known the guys at the shop for over 20 years.. so I’m ready to take civil action against the shop even if i loose i want to make a record of the faulty work they did for anyone in the future.

Last edited:

guzziguy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about the settlement any longer. I appreciate you taking this on. Congratulations and good luck.
If what you say is true (no reason to believe it's not), that guy almost killed you...

Bever

Reaction score
I have info on an aviation atty. Very knowledgeable in aviation litigation.
He's in N.O.
Hopefully you have all the substantiating documentation.

Arrow4

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The AOPA legal was very helpful , they gave me a list of local AOPA attorneys in the New Orleans area . I contacted several of them half of which didn’t associate with AOPA anymore the other half basically said my situation would be tough to get a settlement,
What happened in the fewest words possible, I purchased a plane , did some research on local shops and found one that seemed too have a good reputation to do a prebuy inspection, i was purchasing this plane based on 38 smoh and buying the plane to harvest the engine for a RV project. Sell the rest for parts . I specifically told the shop to make sure the engine was solid . Change oil ,check filter . inspect engine and logs . I was charged $3,500 for this which included turning the prebuy into a annual as I planned to fly this plane while the RV project was going. The mechanic informed me the filter looked good and engine was all new firewall forward no metal in the filter.. i paid for the plane . Went to pick the plane up to fly it 850 nm home , plane wouldn’t start . Battery cables corroded , one tip tank was bone dry later to find it was inop. Had to jump the plane to fly it home , upon a fuel stop had to be jumped again. Got the plane home flew another 10 hrs changed the oil to find no spin on filter but oil screens , which happened to be full of metal and debris and looked like by the safety wire and dust it hadn’t been touched , called mechanic he said fly another 10 hrs change oil again , did that to found 1/2 amount of metal in screens . Took plane to faa certified shop engine shop they found several things wrong just from visual inspection , engine needed new cylinders and pistons and a complete overhaul . Made a formal complaint with the fsdo which they found the shop did nothing wrong , as the fsdo inspector mentioned he had personally known the guys at the shop for over 20 years.. so I’m ready to take civil action against the shop even if i loose i want to make a record of the faulty work they did for anyone in the future.
Ugh! This sucks! I hope the $3500 was put on a credit card so you can at least recoup that amount. This is the line that stands out" the fsdo inspector mentioned he had personally known the guys at the shop for over 20 years". Hmm, biased in there favor? Have you contacted the previous owner of the aircraft? Clearly he knew he was selling you junk.

Rightrudder

Reaction score
Yes cant believe the FSDO told me this, the inspector seemed to be very honest i worked with the FSDO in three states and everyone i worked with was very helpful. I was very impressed with there honesty and service, they are truly looking out for our best interest. Bottom line on this entire transaction was when the mechanic that i hired failed to do his job, if he pulled the oil screens and found the metal i would have back out of the deal or investigative the engine further, there are several minor things wrong with this aircraft that any mechanic would have found that threw red flags up , the seller and mechanic didn’t know each other , i feel lucky at this point I didn’t end up dead , I believe the mechanic just tried to make a quick buck off a out of town person , the shop has been in business for a long time with no recorded complaints they rolled the dice that the engine and plane would be ok but obviously wasn’t . Ive tried to work with all party’s , when this legal matter is settled , i will expose this shop and what they’ve done to help future owners if the shop fails to compensate me for my lose.

06CSaratoga

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez, that really stinks. Sounds a bit like favoritism at the FSDO. Although your interaction with the inspector seems to be friendly. (It's the "friendly" ones to watch out for, lol)

You are very lucky you made it home safely, sorry for the engine condition.

If it were me, I would dispute any charge you have incurred (hopefully on CC or through your bank). Get a paper inspection record from the repair shop YOU took it to. Hopefully you took pictures of the condition beforehand.

Great job on maintaining your composure, and not going full revenge on the shop (which I know must be difficult, since they just stole $3500 from you). I don't know I would have been so calm.
_ _
\(. .)/

I hope you find the relief you are due... Best of luck, keep us informed!