• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Intercom Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi group, I am getting frustrated with my intercom. I hope someone might have suggestions on how to troubleshoot my intercom issue. Attached is a pic showing what I have installed.

Here is what it does: When the plane is jarred (bump in the taxi-way/ some landings, etc.), on occasion, the intercom light will no longer illuminate, and will be become inoperable. The real kicker is that the fail-safe mode (keeping the pilot headset "live" to talk via the radio) does not work. I need to revert to the handheld radio at this point. Hence lies the first frustration.

After taxiing back to hanger and shutting down the engine, I tried to cycle the on/off knob to the intercom (with master on, of course) and NOTHING. Does not come back on. I let the plane set for a day or two, go back out to plane turn master on, and intercom works like it was never broke!

I have had avionics shop pull the intercom and radio for a bench test. They could not duplicate the failure. They re-installed it, taxied the plane, and could never get it to fail. I was hoping taking the intercom out and back in would "connect" a possible loose wire somewhere? The plane was good for 4-5 short flights without incidence until some touch and goes a few days ago. Same thing, went back out tonight, turned master on, and intercom was alive again! The ONLY thing I am doing that has anything to do with electrical is connecting my battery tender after every flight.
I appreciate any advice!

Intercom.jpg

Latest posts

Back