• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hydraulic fluid found on manual gear extension handle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coopere

Reaction score
Well this doesn't look so good, went out too the Aztec tonight and found hydraulic fluid on the manual gear extension handle. It's wet to the touch, but no puddle on the floor.

It was in the stowed position, I deployed the handle and the shaft is wet too the touch as well

I'm due in for annual inspection in the next month (due by feb 26th) I was thinking I'd take it early

I did have the fluid changed last annual. We did this because I was having an issue with my main gear doors sagging closed when the aircraft was moved from the warm maintenance hanger then cold soaked in -15c temps, I'm wondering if this new issue is related to the gear doors from last annual, I thought we had that solved the issue didn't re appear after the fliud change (theirs a post about that issue on the forum here)

Any idea what this could be from? The temperature has been drastically changing from +10c to -3c every day I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with it...

The Handle is wet too the touch, the flaps had drooped down about too the 1/4 flap position as well they had been stowed all the way up after the last flight on dec 17th

I did notice a small amount of fluid on the left main wheel prior too the flight but after a very thorough look in the gear bay with a bright light I could not see any evidence of a leak or where it may have come from. I hand pumped the flaps down and selected gear down and hand pumped until the levers returned to neutral ( about 1/4 a pump for gear and the normal amount to pump flaps down) I then re checked the gear bay for leaks and nothing so I went for the flight it was normal and uneventful. No leaks since that either.

Back to the problem with fluid on the manual gear extension handle
I did manually select flaps up and pumped the hand pump and everything worked as it should, flaps came up the system built pressure and popped the handle back too the neutral position

Then I selected gear down after first verifying that the downlocks were engaged and in less than 1/2 a stroke of the pump handle the system built pressure and popped the handle back to neutral

I'm going to call my ame tomorrow and talk too them but wondering on if you guys think it's safe to fly to my shop to have them take a look. Do you guys think I should fly their leaving the gear down or think it safe to retract it as normal?

Might as well get the annual out of the way

Thanks guys
Eric

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back