• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

High-Pitched "Alarm" Coming From Behind the Panel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBosque

Reaction score
Hello fellow pilots and aircraft owners. I have a strange issue going on with my Arrow IV. Usually, I hear a short "beep" that comes from behind the co-pilot's side of the instrument panel as soon as I turn on the avionics master switch. Sometimes, however, I get a prolonged high-pitched sound that persists regardless of whether the engine is running or even if all the avionics and the audio panel are turned off (I'll call this sound an "alarm" since that's what it appears to be). The alarm never comes through the headsets, just from behind the instrument panel. And, the alarm shuts off immediately when I turn off the avionics master switch.

Strangely, the alarm seems more likely to appear if I haven't flown the plane for a couple of weeks, which led me to believe that it had something to do with the voltage dropping. However, I've tried fully charging the battery overnight and even connecting external power to the plane with the master electric switch on as well as off. Nothing seems to make any difference; then, I'll take the plane up for a couple of hours and the alarm often (but not always) reverts to a short beep when I turn on the master avionics switch.

I've had two AIs and some avionics techs from a very reputable avionics shop look at it and no-one seems to know what the problem is. (Of course, we joke around that the airplane is complaining that it wants to fly more often.) Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back