• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Foam tape? Window replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In researching the topic window replacements on past posts, I found some negative comments regarding the use of foam tape which is prescribed in the maintenance manual and recommended by the manufacturer of the replacement windows. Examples include a correspondence by Dick Russ where he states that he hasn’t seen a window replacement with foam tape that didn’t leak. There was also mention that the tape is good at first but will eventually dry rot.

On the other hand, my understanding is that the tape is there to stabilize the window and reduce the effect of vibration and minimize cracking over time. I consider this an important point because my current windows were not installed with tape with the previous owner, and they seem to craze and crack a bit much for only 7 year old windows that have been hangared 99% of the time.

So, there seem to be points for and against using foam tape. Can using foam tape be installed in such a way that they do not provoke leaks? If we go without tape, is there a way to attenuate the effects of vibration so that these windows last a long time?

Latest posts

Back