• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Pre-Buy Inspection for Archer II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m seeking advice on specific areas which are recommended to be included in a pre-buy inspection of an Archer II. I recognize it is difficult to come up with a definitive checklist since there are so many variables. But I presume there are some areas of the inspection that are strongly urged. I've read other postings about pre-buys with lots a good information, but I'd still appreciate additional guidance.

A little background on the plane and the process so far.

I learned about this plane a number of months ago when it was not listed for sale. I corresponded with the owner—and we developed a good relationship—and we agreed that if and when he did want to sell it, and assuming I was still in the market, then I’d very much want to make an offer. He now decided to sell. I made him a very good offer which was happily accepted.

The plane is half-way across the country and I’ve not seen it in person. I’ve naturally seen lots of good photos. I’ve talked with the owner and he and I have exchanged many dozens of emails over the months—primarily about the plane, but also about family and other things. This is a plane that he has lovingly cared for and spent considerable amount in upgrades in the five years that he has owned the plane, and he’s excited that I am to become the new owner.

The Archer II has both a 530W and 430W. There is an STEC 50 Dual Axis Autopilot with altitude hold—selectable to either NAV1 or NAV2. STEC ST-901 GPSS steering. ADSB Compliant with Garmin GTX 345 Transponder coupled to both of the GNS units. Garmin Flightstream 210. JPI 700 Engine data management system with fuel flow and other readouts which is coupled also to the GNS units. Newer Garmin GMA 350c Bluetooth digital audio panel. Lots of other extras including Reiff pre-heater with cellphone activation, upgraded anti-collision strobes, Teledyne Alphabeam taxi/landing LED light, Rosen visors, LP Aero solar grey windshield and side windows, Falcon vertical card compass, and Airex oxygen system including tanks, regulators and masks and cannulas. Excellent condition leather interior by AirTex. Relatively new paint including new wing tips and other plastic fairings replaced.

The plane has been hangered. Early life was in the Midwest and then upstate New York.

The plane has 4,700 hours on the airframe and 850 hours since a Lycoming factory major overhaul. From my review of the logs, it would appear that the first owner and maybe the second owner used the plane in a flight school where many of the hours on the airframe were accumulated. The plane has been flown regularly in the last 7 or 8 years, but not extensively—typically from 20 to 70 hours each year. Last annual was in April which was routine.

I’ve talked with the AP/AI who has serviced the plane for the last 5 years. He says the owner has been excellent in caring for the plane with no deferred maintenance. Gets an oil analysis at annuals. Adds Camguard with oil changes. Particular about just the right cleaners. Obviously a number of significant upgrades to the avionics while he has owned the plane. The AP/AI said it is one of the best Archers he’s familiar with. He also said when the current owner purchased the plane, it was then in excellent, pristine condition and was obviously very well maintained by the previous owner.

I talked to the CFII who has flown the plane with the owner the last several years—and who has also flown the plane on his own at the owner’s urging when the plane had not been used recently. The CFII says, from his perspective as a pilot of the plane, there is nothing wrong with the plane. He parenthetically added that he personally would like an HSI and if he won the lottery, he’d buy this plane and put in two Garmin G5s to include the HSI. He says it is a great plane for IFR flying, which is what is important to me.

I’ve obtained scans of all the logs—including engine, propeller, and airframe. Also the AD compliance. I separately ordered copies of the complete aircraft records filed with the FAA including airworthiness and Forms 337. I’ve reviewed all the logs and FAA records very thoroughly with my own AP/AI. He and I are very satisfied with everything we’ve looked at.

I am now ready to have an AP/AI look at the plane for the pre-buy inspection. I prefer to be able to tell him some specific areas that I want to be sure are included. I also want to be reasonable under the circumstances. Hence, my posting here.

Corrosion is something that is definitely considered during a pre-buy. Do I have my guy drain and remove the fuel tanks to check for corrosion (SB 1006)? Are there other particular areas that should be checked for corrosion—such as pulling up the floorboards to inspect?

Should we do a borescope of the cylinders to check for evidence of pitting? I understand the condition of the cams and lifters are important, but with a Lycoming, I don’t think you can inspect the cam without removing the cylinders.

I read that we should check for cracking of the skins of the forward wing walk.

What about some of the more typical or routine areas to be included in the pre-buy, such as checking baggage door for leaking seal, or corrosion in the battery compartment, the stabilator bushings, or leaking fuel tanks, or the magnetos? Maybe these areas are assumed to be included in the pre-buy and the AP/AI knows what to do.

The AP/AI will be conducting the inspection in a couple of days. I appreciate any advice and recommendations.

Latest posts

Back