• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

"First airplane purchase"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerooster

Reaction score
I've seen so many buy their first airplane, then end up spending at least half the purchase price in repairing airworthiness issues within the year.
But they got a nice looking airplane, with updated avionix, and nice interior, when they bought it. But at first annual, it was grounded untill it was made airworthy.
My story might be a tad biased, because there is no way I can afford to buy an airplane that looks nice, has nice interior, and updated avionix anyway. So, what I must look for is an "ugly duckling" that has been well maintaned, and cared for mechanically. I can take care of the "uglies" as I fly it. And can do avionix upgrades as need be.
about 3 years ago, I got a Cherokee 140, with 500 smoh by a reputable firm. and a single nav/com, that worked (sometimes). Pretty well mantained mechanically, just butt ugly, with crackling paint, and peeling paint, but new glass. Interior was not ripped or torn, but, well, 70's custom van type stuff, even fuzzy seatcovers. No one wanted it, because it was ugly. After all why would anyone want to spend their hard earned dollars on something that looks so bad, when, for a few dollars more, they can get what they think they want; Flashy paint, leather interior, better avionix, etc.?
I guess "to each their own".
I look for an airplane that fits what I want to do with it, Then look at how it's been taken care of, after that, I look at avionix, paint, and interior. I order the CD from the FAA, and go over it with a fine tooth comb, I then
go look at the airplane, compare the logs with what's on the CD, (anything requiring a 337 should jive) Also go over the airplane with a fine tooth comb, looking at anything I can without removing any screws. If I see that everything appears to be in order, I call my mechanic for a more thorough inspection. Generally, on an airplane like a PA28, or C1xx, I just need him to confirm what I've found, or not found.
After several airplane purchases, I've found that the "ugly duckling" has been the "biggest bang for the buck". While the seller had not spent a dime on looks, or upgrades, the seller had spent that money on continued airworthiness, and due to inability to sell due to it's uglyness, the price was reduced.
When I bought my current Cherokee, I decided to go ahead and paint it.
While it was down for paint, I went ahead and did some other things, which would be due in a year or two anyway.
But what it boils down to is this; get a nice purty airplane with all the bells and whistles, but at first annual, needs new wings due to spar corrosion, or an ugly duckling, that needs a facelift, and mabe new brake hoses.

Latest posts

Back