• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Double IO-540 Engine Overhauls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after 49 years, it's time to bite the bullet and tear down both of my IO-540's. They run good and only have a little short of 1900 hours on them, but being 49 years old, and not the greatest compression, I figure it's time to do it now before something bad happens and it gets very expensive.

The plan now is to throw away the cylinders and replace with new Nickel cylinders. Hopefully the case and other components are in good shape and can be reconditioned, but I expect to have replace a part or two. Hopefully not the big ones! We'll overhaul both mags, and replace the plugs (Tempest?), harness (Slick or Kelly?), and install GAMI's. We'll also overhaul both governors. The exhaust system was rebuilt new 6-7 years ago, so it should be good, but we'll have to overhaul twin Ray-Jay Turbo's on both sides which could be interesting to find parts for. All hoses are due to be replaced anyway this year so they'll be new as well. And, I plan to replace both Alternators and Regulators with Plane Power. After reading the other thread on these I'll have to determine my current wiring capacity as I'll want to have the full 70 amp capacity.

While the motors are off, we'll recondition the engine mounts, replace the rubber mounts (Lord or Berry?), and install SlickStart. I'm sure we'll recondition the baffles as well. We'll be installing an Insight G4 Twin to keep track of my new investment.

Central Cylinder in Omaha, NE will be doing the engines. We'll start this project after the first of the year, but am starting to plan now. Would appreciate any other opinions or thoughts on things I should be aware of or consider for this project. Will update thread as the project goes along.

Latest posts

Back