• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 140 Heading Indicator / Directional Gyro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zillionaire2

Piper Cherokee 140
Reaction score
I'm beginning to have some issues with my heading indicator on my 66 Cherokee 140. When I do a steep turn it wants to lock up or even do a complete spin. Doesn't do it any other time during normal flight but definitely need to start looking for another replacement. BTW, vacuum looks good at this time so I'm hoping to rule out the pump.
Can anyone tell me what I'm looking for? I've seen a lot of the RC Allen items that appears to be what Piper used back then. What is still a mystery is which would be a good replacement? Right now I'm wondering if it's the RCA 11A-15 but don't know enough about then to know if that's the correct unit. I saw one advertisement for a used RCA 11A-8 that supposedly came out of a Cherokee 140 but that was just one of many and the -15 seemed more prevalent.
Any ideas from anyone?

Latest posts

Back