• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec - TIO-540 opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff K

Reaction score
Well, I like my present Aztec so much I want to get rid of it :D

Actually looking to upgrade the avionics from my dated bird and the prices I'm seeing are making me think it might be best for someone else to take the depreciation and me buy a new plane with modern avionics (WAAS GPS and newer panel in general).

The downside of that being I've got a mechanically solid airplane... known factor. This was a consideration when I was first buying... newer avionics but I simply couldn't find a solid airplane so I went with what I have.

Anyways... I found a possible candidate but it has TIO-540-C's on it. I can lean back my IO-540-C... run it oversquared (2000/24) and be doing 160mph IAS up to about 7000feet at 18gph total (up to 185mph true). Not fast, but for most of my flying good enough and makes the fuel economy (mpg) almost as good as Cherokee 6.

What can I expect here with the TIO's from an economy standpoint and performance? My interest in the turbo's is to go high... not really to go fast. I'll take my speed with lower wind resistance at altitude and tailwinds. I had a turbo in my Cherokee 6 and that is how I primarily used it. It also was a good tool to operate LOP at altitude.

The lycoming engine manual on the part throttle fuel consumption charts seems to imply I'll get almost the same power for the same fuel flow... economy 55% power in the IO-540-C clocks in at ~10.2gph at 2000rpm where as on the TIO-540-C is just a smidgen higher.

I've found these charts fairly accurate... even conservative on my IO-540-C (at LOP... fuel flow method) but the conventional wisdom seems to have the TIO-540-C's on the Aztec north of 30gph (total) most of the time.

Just wanted to see if anyone was using the TIO-540-C in this mode.

(cross posting to the general group also as this is more an engine question)

Latest posts

Back