• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Turbo Aztec climb performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frat_233

Reaction score
Hello all,

I operate a turbo F model Aztec. The climb performance on this aircraft is hardly 'book value'.

I generally operate at 5,000 lbs to 5,200 lbs with an arm of 99-100 inches. During the take off roll, power settles at 32-34" and 2575rpm. It doesn't to use more runway than the POH suggests. But getting off the ground, its very slow to climb out, typically 400-500fpm (gear and flap up, full power). accelerating to 110kts the performance doesn't really change, but engine parameters appear good.

Above 700'-1000' AGL the aircraft climbs a bit better, but I am rarely seeing more than 700fpm at full power. Making the climb to flight levels, somewhat slow and using way too much fuel.

Some data I have gathered;

OAT 19 c
QNH 1019 hpa

Power - full (32-34" 2575rpm)
Fuel flow - 25-26 US GAL a side
CHTs - 350-380F (cowls half open or fully open depends on the temps)
EGT/TIT - 1350F (hottest cylinder)
Mixture - full rich

The strange thing is that at cruise power settings (long range cruise - 24" 2200rpm) I am meeting book values for fuel flow (12.5-13 USGAL a side) and just 2 knots short on the TAS.

As I bump the power up to say an intermediate cruise (30" 2400rpm), I am getting 10-15kts less than POH speeds.

I am not too worried about the higher power cruise speeds, but the climb performance bothers me alot!

Any advice and where I can start to look? My maintenance shop are as confused as I am.

Latest posts

Back