• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec parking brake cable question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all -

I set the parking brake a couple of days ago on my '73 turbo Aztec, just to try it out (new airplane to me). When I pushed the handle in, the galvanized cable-end tube separated from the threaded aluminum sleeve that goes through the panel. I took the whole cable out today, and it is an interesting design: the galvanized sleeve and aluminum piece are swedged together, but at the swedge, they only overlap about 1/4". I just cannot believe that the cable depends on this flimsy swedge to hold the two together; surely the galvanized tube is attached to something on the airframe to immobilize it so you don't push the pieces apart when you push the handle in. Does anybody have any knowledge of this setup?

(Yes, I know you have to push the brakes when you set the parking brake - and also when you release them.)

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back