• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Spongy Aztec gear pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I jacked up my '73 Aztec to troubleshoot the nose gear "down/locked" light. Since the hydraulic pump is engine-operated, I pumped the gear up and down manually. It took about 250 pumps - operator's manual calls for 50. About 2/3 of the strokes felt spongy, like there was air in the system; occasionally I could get a solid upstroke AND downstroke. (It's a double-acting pump, I think.) The gear retracts/extends fine in flight. Why would it (seemingly) work perfectly inflight but act this way with the manual method? I read somewhere there are two standpipes in the reservoir; maybe the fluid level is at or below the upper one?

While retracting or extending the FLAPS, I am always able to get the flap selector handle to pop back into position as pressure builds up; for the gear, I ran up against solid resistance at the end and the gear selector did NOT pop back to neutral; I didn't push it, thinking I might bend the pump handle.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

Second question: Where can you find approved grease for the wheels and various grease fittings? My nosewheel spins like a top and clearly needs to be packed. A good general greasing is in order, too. I'm looking at this "Aeroshell Grease 64" on the Aircraft Spruce Website. Seems like it does everything. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back