• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

SOARS airbag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pa32guy

Reaction score
Having survived a plane crash....I can really say that airbags are important. So when the option for the Soars by AMSAFE came out I was very excited. Before I say more, I rarely say anything bad about a product. But everyone needs to be aware before they buy this. I called and asked tons of questions about the install for my 73 Piper Arrow. How long to install, how difficult, has anyone reported problems with fitment, operation or installation.

FIRST issue. The inertia reels are bigger than the OEM and once installed the trim covers for the reels will not and can not without modifications be installed. This means you either put in a new headliner or find a way to modify the trim pieces which are 3/4 of an inch from the headliner, as the reel is to big to fit properly behind it.

Second issue. The wires. Three mechanics all insisted that we install the control unit under the rear seats in the compartment where the control cables, flap bar and other components are. That means that one set of wires are so short that the second front seat airbag can not be connected unless the seat is in the far back position and no one is in the back seat or they would step on the wires and cause damage to the unit and wires. This renders the copilot airbag useless and unusable.

Third issue,
The shoulder belt connector is 180 degrees reverse of the way it should be to connect to the lap belt connector. Therefore, you must rotate the shoulder belt 180 degrees to connect. Although you can make it connect in the orientation it is installed, it is difficult and in case of an emergency exit or normal exit it slows one down

Fourth issue,
The shoulder reels are to short. I am a small 5’8 and 165 so with seat forward I can not reach the fuel selector or any thing in the floor. I can BARELY reach the flap handle due the the short shoulder belt.

Fifth issue, nearly two feet of extra belt on both sides of the air bag. Seriously, we had to zip tie all the extra belts to get them out of the way. To solve we will have to have remove them, cut shorter, and sew the ends.

Sixth issue,
I have learned that Amsafe knew of these issues when they sold me the system. Their response is that they will not and can not due to certification make any revisions to the system. No help with the trim pieces, short shoulder reels, connector, wires or anything. If we alter the wires or belts then we revoke the certification. Their response is, I can return it and get my money back minus the shipping for HAZARDOUS inflators. I loose all my money for the mechanic installing and removing the system. They claim that the system fits flawlessly in most ALL GA aircraft. Buy and install at your own risk and expense!

Before I wrote this I tried via phone and emails to work all of this out with Amsafe. I regret having to share this. But you all need to know they are not being truthful nor helpful with the sale of their product.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back