• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec Oil Consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minesinger

Reaction score
Its been almost a year since I purchased N5622Y, a 64 C Model Aztec with IO-540's. Wondering how much oil others are going though? My non-turbo 540's use nearly 1 qt per 2 hrs of hour of flight. Feels like I am going through a bunch of oil. Most other planes I have flown seem to stabilize at some point and these will not, at least at a reasonable level that I'm comfortable with. I owned a Cherokee Six prior to the Aztec with a 540 which would stabilize around 9 quarts. I have run these down to 7 quarts, to see if they would stop at some point, but I'm not willing to go any lower than that. I usually try to keep them around 9 quarts by the end of the flight.

My compressions are all 76-78/80 over the last 150 hrs. No significant leaks under the cowl. I have even installed an M-20 Air/Oil separator on one side, which has had no effect. (I've been trying to work with the manufacturer, without much help). I can still see where the oil is blowing out the breather on both sides.

I do fly it like I stole it at 24 squared most of the time. I figure if there is a power setting listed in the book, it should be fine to use it? Seeing some of the power settings some other members fly, I'm wondering if that would have an impact on it?

Is this normal oil consumption for the Aztec?? Any thoughts, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back