• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Piper Aztec Cabin door opened in-flight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 24684

Reaction score
During a routine survey capture mission, the cabin door fully open to the nacelle during climb out around 1700ft. It caused an immediate pitch down and roll towards the right with extreme stabilator buffet vibrations that could be felt throughout the cabin and yoke. The aircraft began descending rapidly it was not until my coworker was able to hold the door shut that I could regain some pitch and roll control, but with each inch the door would creep open it would cause the Aztec to roll right and pitch down. It was like trying to fly with a unfeathered dead engine. I did a wide pattern while trying to maintain speed and altitude. I deployed flaps and gear slowly on base and was able to land normally.

Has this happened to anyone else? I am just curious if the Aztec is still controllable with the door fully open because if I were solo I am not sure I could shut the door and fly the aircraft at the same time.

Latest posts

Back