• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

AC system that works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have started a dialogue with peterschiffaero.com

Looking to get a little cooling in the Aztec. I am willing to upgrade to 100 amp alternators, but they say that the 60 amp will work fine. Because there are two.

The Sofie Lite is the top contender and easiest install. Install it in the rear baggage, vent it thru the tail, and put a drain line out the bottom. Cold air could be above the rear seat or under the rear seat, real easy, bit less effective. It moves 250cfm.

Would the cold air even reach the pilot? Is this enuf air flow to make any difference in cabin temp?

Mounting on the nose baggage would be more effective for the pilot. But more difficult to discharge the hot air?

I did see an Aztec owned by a FL based Avionics shop with the Arctic Air installed in the nose baggage. They had two vents ducted and mounted in the panel. So it only blew on the front seats. Seems ideal, but they were not willing to open the nose baggage, so the "portable installation" must be questionable?

The other option is the PAC 24. It mounts in the rear baggage and liquid cools 4 or so vents in the cabin. Could mount in the corners, under seats, and or under the panel. Each vent requires a drain line, but believe recirculates cabin air for more effective cooling.

They can all run with external power for a quick precool.

I was quoted around 30k for an STC version. Thermocool I think. They required the 100 amp alternators. And they vented thru the rear of the cabin. Seems like a lot to cool the passengers, while the pilot sweats.

Even knocking out 10 degrees would be cool, no pun intended!

Any advice on the optimal install for a portable install?

Latest posts

Back