• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec Cabin Door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Aztec. The Cabin door appears to shut normally and latch securely but in flight the upper rear corner developes a significant gap, enough to see daylight. The door has an inflatable door seal.

I have tracked it down to the latch/lock knob. When the handle is pushed forward and the lock knob pushed down, the mechanism is sloppy/worn out enough that it allows the upper pin to retract such that it is barely engaged (if at all). THe handle itself was glued onto the splined shaft, so I will need to probably cut that off and replace when it is repaired.

The cabin door otherwise is fine.

I cannot seem to find anyone with any knowledge of the exact part I need, if it is possible to get the part, and what it might take to fix the part. MOst places I have been calling never call back, including one Piper dealer. I can find a door but I dont need a door and replacing the whole door would entail painting it.

Mine can not be the only one like this. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, although this is a model E, by serial number/year, the door itself appears to be a model F as it has the center latch on the door and the external release. Is this common? I have have the parts manual and there doesnt seem to be anyway that this should have that latch on this model year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back